Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Time Flies and Firefly's

It's been a fast paced couple of weeks. Last time I wrote I was in contemplation. This time, as I write, I    almost forget what it is like to have the time to think thoughts long enough to be able to contemplate them. A lot has happened within the past couple of weeks.  Let me update you:

First, thank you to those who contacted me after my last blog post. To be honest, I didn't think that anyone actually read this thing. After the last post, a few donations were made to CreateACTivity helping me to keep the passion alive. Also, email streams were created from friends to me and from friends to friends of friends suggesting fundraising opportunities for the months to come. Although it scares me to know that I am putting myself out there and more people are reading my random thoughts and updates, I am very thankful for the positive responses and will use it to push forward.

What else? My amazing grandmother turned 88 years old last week. A woman of service and sacrifice, a pure saint and huge inspiration. At the age of 88, my grandmother takes care of my 63 year old uncle that can't walk by himself, eat by himself, shower by himself, is legally blind and can say three words due to a severe case of Cerebral Palsy. But despite the things he can not do, the energy that fills the room when he is in it is unexplainable. Having the opportunity to spend time with them last week was such an inspiring gift.



A change in my already busy schedule occurred this week as well.  In attempt to make my already full schedule even more full, I have decided to help out another non-profit in my "spare" time. In any other situation, I believe I would have said "No" in adding another responsibility (not associated with CreateACTivity) to my plate. However, by working with this particular non profit, I will have the ability to learn from extremely talented, well rounded, and highly educated individuals (Harvard, Yale, and Brown graduates, as well as a successful consultant to fortune 500 companies). For this reason, and that I believe in the cause, I have decided to assist in the initial  set up and infrastructure developement of another non profit organization besides my own. Starting a non-profit is a lot different then starting a for profit company, and starting a company is different then running a sales force. There is a lot to be learned, and I will take up and soak in every opportunity that I get. 

Enjoying the freedom to take off when I want to, and not being locked into a job that doesn't allow me the freedom to live life, this past weekend I took the opportunity to visit a friend in Texas. I spent the weekend enjoying the simple pleasures of the open air, an open book, rivers and lakes, walks in the evening, and iced tea on the porch. With gratitude, I also accomplished a few "firsts" : This past Friday I saw firefly's for the first time, and Monday I took my first dance class (intermediate ballet) and loved it. (For the past 5 days I have also started a morning work out routine, which is has been causing soreness in all the right places. It is invigorating to feel the increased energy, see the more toned muscles, and reap the benefits of the mind clarity exercise provides.) Coming back from a relaxing weekend, I have been welcomed home with multiple phone calls and over one hundred emails... but once again am energized and ready to hit the ground running. 





All My Best, 

Es-Bee 

No comments:

Post a Comment