Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Un-planning Process


The last time I posted, I was visioning boat life in the marina ... calm and relaxed, in my own space, having the comfort of a regularly paid income, paying some dues for rent like the common folk, and having an area to focus on business plans/visions... slowing things down a bit for the sake of putting together plans for the future of CreaACTivity and attempting to have a place of comfort to bring business related or personal company to  if I so chose.  I had also declined speaking in Singapore due to the conference board's unwillingness in paying for travel expenses, and had accepted the lost opportunity without having any emotional attachment towards going (or not going) to the event. ... I'd love to say that everything is going smoothly and exactly as I planned, but what kind of story would that be?

Since the last update, the boat was "cleaned" out, and the keys were handed over. Turns out my perception of clean is a lot different than the boat owners perception of clean. What was described to me as a lovely, comfortable, Tempur-Pedic mattress, is actually two moldy pieces of Tempur-Pedic mattress material. What was described to me as bleached and watered down, is actually dusty, un-swept or vacuumed, and not wiped down at all. But to say the least, I still love the guy for his adventurous attitude and desire to keep his worn in water vessel by renting it out to an adventurous/semi crazy individual such as myself. After leaving the boat and thinking about how much it would cost me to get the thing into, by my standards, a livable condition I started contemplating if it would be worth the effort and began to walk to my car currently packed with all of my belongings. As I left the dock, my telephone rang, and up pops a phone number that I haven't seen in months from the lovely gentleman that invited a friend of mine and I to Haiti in May of this past year. The reason for the call... to derail my planning process. For the third time this year, I was asked if I would be willing to move to Haiti to do some on the ground work in helping provide the necessities needed to survive the dire circumstances many are currently living with in Port Au Prince. The necessity I would be working with this time around ... sanitary water. My response to the phone call... "When do I leave?"

Obviously, there are matters here that I can't just leave behind. With the possibility of CreateACTivity gaining some publicity, donors, and getting our first project off the ground along with potential website upgrade ... there is a lot to be done, and a lot to think about if I was to take off to Haiti. However, there is a lot that I can learn from the experience as well that would only give me a larger understanding to helping those in poverty, and gaining connections to powerful people capable of creating positive change. A lot to think about, but I know all will happen as it is supposed to. I am realizing that  I am really not in charge of any of this, but merely along for the ride.

Another random "by chance" moment happened at work the other day as well, when a co-worker mentioned to me that most of my clients seem to be involved with non-profits. Not thinking too much of it, I went to greet my next client only to find out that she had just spent the previous day volunteering for Habitat For Humanity. I'd love to say it was coincidence, however, the client  that followed her just so happened to worked with a company that matches celebrities and professional athletes with charities. One of the athletes she currently works with is Yao Ming, of the Houston Rockets....who I  happened to (literally) bump into last week in the elevator of the hotel I was staying at because the house I was living in was, by chance, being renovated due to a leaky roof and pipes.

Now for the update on the Singapore conference. Yes, I know, I didn't think there would be an update in regards to this either. I sent the conference board a message declining the speaking opportunity without any expectation of a response back, only to be greeted with their desire to explore cross marketing opportunities. Let the exploration begin.

I also am rocking crooked glasses because I seem to have lost one of my last contacts down the drain... which is probably a blessing because I think it was giving me an eye infection. Can't totally afford new glasses or contacts... but figure the lesson is that I am not supposed to see to far ahead.


More updates soon,

Es-Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment