Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fifteen Minutes













Today was a very special day. Today I traveled about fifteen minutes away (okay, maybe it took a little longer than that considering I got lost) from Venice to Watts to join my friend Jeremiah and some members from his church in distributing holiday gifts to children. The experience was absolutely amazing. It was so great to feel the sense of community that both Powerhouse Church  (in Watts) and some of the members of RockHarbor Church (in Costa Mesa) have created. Although Watts and Costa Mesa are only about thirty minutes away from each other, the communities are very different. I think the main learning lesson of the day was that one does not have to travel very far to engage in a different cultural experience.

Throughout the day, I could not put my smile away as I observed everything going on around me. I sat and watched a mother and son singing to each other and every time the lyrics said "I love you," the son would shout the words at his mother and point to her. At another point, five young ladies gave a sign language/dance performance. The performance was powerful and exerted so much strength and attitude... beautiful to watch and yet difficult to share in words the emotions it pulled from within. And again, as I watched a four year old creating a beautiful holiday picture with crayons and tissue paper as he counted in english and in spanish. Overall, the main emotions that struck me came from the strong sense of community that these organizations have created through their collaboration together. It was beautiful to see the interaction and the love that has been built  among communities with completely different lifestyles that are within minutes of each other.

If your interested in learning more about the Powerhouse/RockHarbor Watts activities, the involvement of what they do, and their mission, you can visit the website at: http://rockharborwatts.org/

Today was a great gift. Much better than anything material could offer. I give thanks to my friend Jeremiah for letting me join in the experience of the joy that he engages in monthly. Thank you.

Love and Light,
Es-Bee

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your comments and reflections about your day at Powerhouse. We'd love for you to come back again anytime. I'm enjoying reading your blog and following your journey. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete