Monday, October 26, 2009

Be The Change You Wish To See In The World












To say the least these past few weeks have been interesting. About three weeks ago I made the decision to take up a communal living opportunity with a lovely lady named Darilynn and her beautiful daughter Helen. Darilynn is a single mom who owns a retail store in Santa Monica and offered to remodel a room in her home for myself and two other girls who are dedicating their lives to create positive change in the world. How could I decline? What a great opportunity for me to live with like minded people and focus 80% or more of my time towards making a difference in the world.


Slowly but surely after Darilynn opened up her home, I began taking baby steps toward my spontaneous, yet heart felt decision. Night one, I posted all of my furniture to sell on Craig's List. Who needs furniture when you do not have a home to put it in? The following day, I informed my roommate that I would be moving out in 30 days. A few days later, I found myself taking four trash bags of clothing and twenty-three pairs of shoes to Good Will. And then finally, I conquered one of my biggest fears: I put in my notice at my job and gave up my title as National Sales Manager for a creditable skin care manufacturer, my consistent paycheck, and medical benefits all for the crazy idea that I am going to live rent free and start a non profit that will help save thousands of lives a year. But hey, no one ever created change without taking risks, right? ..and as a good friend once said to me: "The idea is to live more simply so that others can simply live."


Attached to this blog are some pictures of my current living situation, pictures of all the items I have donated as I make this transition, and my resignation letter to my employer (modified of course in respect to the company.) Hopefully others will find these items more useful than myself, and hopefully someone else will be happy to take on my corporate position. Never before in my life have I seen such clarity in knowing that I need very little to be happy. Never before have I felt so empowered to create positive change, and I would not be willing to ask others for support in helping my cause if I was not willing to make sacrifices myself.


I am not sure that this blog post or any of the decisions I have made will empower anyone else but myself, however, if I can encourage one other person to live without fear, follow the truth within, and to know that one person can make a difference then I have succeeded.


Letter of resignation:



XXXXXXXXX
Marketing Director, Co-CEO
Company Name
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Employer:
As you know, I have been volunteering and working with organizations that help support positive change in the world. This work is where my heart lies and I can no longer deny its pull on me. As such, I am writing to formally notify you that I am resigning from my position as National Sales Manager with (company name). My departure from (company name) will be November 20, 2009..
I truly appreciate all of the opportunities I have been given at (company name) and know that I will use the skills I have learned to do much good in world. I am very excited about what my future holds.
I wish (company name) all the best and continued success.
Sincerely,

Sara Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment